Friday, January 28, 2011

Reflections with one week to go...

Bon soir,

We've come to the end of our second week in Niger.  We had pizza cooked with veggies we purchased from the market and in the other room I can hear Toy Story 3 playing to make our pizza and a movie night complete. At times, life here feels so real and normal.  We have a morning routine, spend some time in the clinic working with patients or teaching and then can usually count on soccer in the afternoons in the yard. I sometimes forget than I am half way across the world in a country and culture very different from what I am used to. I am learning to read pepole and communicate without words, because my french and hausa are minimal at best. Even though I don't speak the same language as the kids in the yard (or pronouce half of their names correctly), I feel like I know them, who is most competitve and likely to get upset when a goal is scored against us, who has the tricky feet and will school their opponent every time, who will pass to the younger kids to make sure everyone feels included in the game, and who will take time to patiently correct my poor pronounciation after five failed attempts. The people here are so welcoming and sincere and fun to be around, depsite the environment in which they live.

There are other times when I am keenly aware of the disparities between what I am experiencing here and the life I am used to at home.  The conditions in which people live, the trash that lines the roads, and the beggars that roam the streets are heart breaking.  The whole picture can be overwhelming, what can I do to make difference? Is it worth traveling half way around the world and not even make a dent in the problems the face this country? We've had a few conversations as a team about this very idea. What's the point of a trip like this? What it comes down to for me is I know that we am not going to change the world, but we can make a difference in someone's world.  As Greg told us before we left, we are bringing the people not only physical therapy skills and education, but also hope. It's about the individuals we encounter, the difference we make in their lives, and the difference they make in ours. God has created us to be dependent on each other, learning and growing from the fellowship we share with one another, whether it is our neighbors down the street or a kid with a soccer ball half way across the world.  

I truly believe that God has orchastrated every aspect of this trip so that we are able to meet the people and visit the places that are instrumental for impacting the health care environment of Niger. It is obvious that physical therapy can make a huge impact on the lives of the people living here.  Many people live with pain or disability because they don't know what physical therapy is or where to go to find one.  The physical therapists here are desparate for continuing education, promotion of the profession among the people, and a school for locally trained therapists because they recognize the needs of those around them and how they could make a difference with the right training and resources.  Their passion for learning and desire to create a better life for the hurting and disabled in this country is inspiring to me and makes me excited to begin my career and use the skills I've been taught to make a difference in people's lives.

I've not only been inspired in my professional life, but in my personal life as well. God continues to reveal different aspects of his character throughout the duration of our trip.  I've realized that I try to fit God in a neat little box, small enough for me to understand who he is and what he is capable of doing.  A box that isn't too scary or intimidating, but comfortable.  The more I see how he is working in the lives of pepole here and even some of the events of our trip, I'm beginning to understand that God is beyond my comprehension and bigger than any box I can imagine.  It's both exciting and terrifying to see what he has in store for us next. Whatever it is, I know it will be better than anything I could plan or even imagine.

Au revior!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment